It is time for more Harry Potter! Clearly, this has become a “thing” for me. I created these two Harry Potter textbooks for our Harry Potter Trunk-or-Treat. I popped them in the cauldron I had made for the Harry Potter party. Becuase we had the whole Trunk-or-Treat props to create, I was working on a tight deadline and so I will have to confess that I really didn’t write down supplies and tools I used to create these. That just adds to the mystery, right? However, if you have a specific question about how I created something just drop me a line. Without further ado, we enter the Hogwarts Library.
Both books started life as blank journals. I found the larger book at a discount store and the smaller book came from my local craft store.
The Dragon book was referenced in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone where Hagrid borrowed a copy from the Hogwarts Library to learn about a dragon egg he had acquired.
I started by creating the dragon scales using a stencil and dimensional paste. I used a variety of products to get the color correct. Some paint, a little mist and finally a little Distress Stickles.
Next came the “leather” portion. For this, I used heavy cardstock and more paint with a little stamping on top. Then I applied a little vaseline in a few areas and painted over the whole thing with a few shades of brown acrylic paint. I then tore the corners and adhered it to the front. I also distressed my edges to add to the whole feel.
I added the corner details which were created using chipboard accents colored using Prima Marketing’s Patina kit.
Next, I started on the title. I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut out the lettering from white cardstock and then I attacked it with all of my distress metallic supplies. I made two accent bands using a variety of tools and techniques.
I used a ton of different distress techniques on the book and I was really pleased with how it turned out.
Now on to the smaller Quidditch book. The snitch in the center was created with polymer clay and gilding wax. The wings are from Tim Holtz and were colored with Pearl Alcohol Ink Metallic Mixitive. The title and shield and title were cut using my Silhouette Cameo.
I used Distress Inks, paint, Crackle Paint, stain, sprays on the cover to create the work look. I also stamped a large compass to add to the effect.
I used metallic corners that I used the Patina Medium on for the corners.
The metal ribbon holder and title frame are from Stampin’ Up! They are really old and have been hiding in one of my drawers for ages.
I also added metallic nailhead rhinestones and gems for just a little bling, I really love the colors on this book cover.
IThe larger decorative strip is a piece of faux leather fabric leftover from my Brave costume.
I hope you enjoyed seeing my books as I had a blast experimenting and creating these. I wasn’t trying to make them match but I guess I tend to go for similar colors.
As always, thanks for popping by and checking out the latest Harry Potter addition.