Today, I am sharing a birthday card that I made recently. I used an old tool that had not seen the light of day for some time, the Stampin’ Up Plaid Maker. It turned out just like I was hoping. I also added a handmade sunflower and used Flower Soft for the center. I often make my centers with more paper punches but I might just be sold on this look. The bonus is that it feels soft too.
When I started working on this card, I knew that I wanted to have one piece of background with a red based plaid pattern. I broke out my plaid maker and got to work! I’ll be honest I was a little afraid that I had gotten rid of it. I sponged through the thick stripes with Barn Red Distress Ink and the used the thinner stripes for the Faded Jeans Distress Ink. I stamped over my plaid with the Weathered Background Stamp from Stampin’ Up using Tea Dye Distress Ink. Next, I aged the panel using more Tea Dye Ink and then Vintage Photo Ink around the edges.
I gave my panel some time to dry before stamping the horses on the bottom. I used Vintage Photos Distress Ink and Veramark to stamp the horses and then embossed with Zing! embossing powder in Chestnut. The stamp and embossing came out a little spotty so I colored in my blank spots with a Vintage Photo Distress Marker. It had a really neat distress texture.
Once I had that panel how I wanted it I went ahead and created the “jeans” layer behind it. for this, I simply sponged Faded Jeans Distress Ink right onto a piece of white cardstock. I was simple and easy but gave the look I was going for.
I then started work on my “HB.” I cut out the letters using QuicKutz Blossom Die Cut Alphabet. I then inked the letters using Barn Red Distress Ink and my Ink Blending Tool. Then, I applied Clear Embossing Powder. I brushed a little off so that the coverage was not complete. I heat set the embossing powder and once cool, I sponged over it with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I really wanted more of an aged enamel look so I gave my letters a good coat of Glossy Accents. I was very inspired by the “Pickers” for this touch, I kept thinking about old enamel signs they find in dusty barns.
I then went to work on the labels where the letters would rest. I used the Spellbinders Label One Nested Dies to cut out the two shapes. For the lighter, I stamped the Stampin’ Up Background Stamp Just Jeans using Antique Linen. I then randomly applied smudges to distress the panel. For the larger shape, I used a rust technique. I have kind of cobbled this together from a few different sources and then there is always a fair amount of “making it work.” I started by applying Evergreen Boughs, Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge, Iced Spruce and Stormy Sky Distress Inks to the label. I just keep working this until I am happy with the look. I then set the label aside to dry. I then stamped with the Stampin’ Up Gorgeous Grunge with Rusty Hinge over the Distress Stain. Next, I randomly applied a little VersaMark ink and poured Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder over the top. I then used my heat gun to set the powder.
I adhered all my pieces of label together and before I adhered it to my plaid panel I added the ribbons. The first ribbon is a burlap ribbon from Michaels and then I added a piece of Twill Tape. This ribbon was dyed with Vintage Photo Distress Stain. Before I adhered down the label I added a few vintage brads.
Next, I set four eyelets in the corners of my plaid and then added that to my blue piece. I almost stopped here, I really tried to but it was just too plain. So I created the sunflower. As is my normal, I used my McGill Paper Blossom Punches. This flower takes the Lily, Alpine Snowflake, and Birch Leave Punches. As I mentioned in the intro, I used Flower Soft on the center and other than taking some time to dry I am totally thrilled with this product. It just turned out kind of cool. I did add depth to the petals with Tea Dye and Vintage Photo went onto the leaves.
I stamped the sentiment on a thin scrap of paper and cut it into a banner. I did a little aging to this with Tea Dye and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.
My final step was the wooden panel. I tried a few different options but this was the one that won out. I used the Hardwood Background Stamp on a piece of white cardstock using Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I added the additional color with Tea Dye and VintagePhotoo Distress Inks. I cut my wooden planks apart and added a little additional ink along the edges. I then adhered these directly to my top-fold card base.
I feel like this card has a unique look to it, but I love the way it all came together. This is in fact, a birthday card for my dad and while it does have a sunflower I think that it is still masculine. Thank you for popping by!
Stamps: Weathered, Gorgeous Grunge, Hardwood, Bareback, Just Jeans, and Warmest Regards – Stampin’ Up
Ink: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Tea Dye, Faded Jeans, Barn Red and Rusty Hinge Distress Inks – Ranger, VersaMark – Tsukineko
Paper: Neenah Solar White, Yellow & Green – Unk
Other: Evergreen Boughs, Vintage Photo, Rusty Hinge, Iced Spruce, & Stormy Sky Distress Ink – Ranger, Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder, Zing! Embossing Powder in Chestnut – American Crafts, Vintage Photo Distress Marker – Ranger, Clear Embossing Powder – Stampin’ Up, Glossy Accents – Ranger, Burlap Ribbon – Michaels, Twill Tape – Stampin’ Up, Eyelets & Brads – Making Memories, Flower Soft – Black
Tools: Spellbinders Label One, Plaid Maker – Stampin’ Up, Blossom alphabet Die – QuicKutz, Birch Leaf, Star Lily & Alpine Snowflake Paper Blossom Punches – McGill