If you are like our family it has been a busy Halloweekend. We are all set to hit the streets and do some trick-or-treating this evening. It is hard to have Halloween on a weeknight since all the kids still have to go to school the next morning. Today, I am sharing an easy Halloween project I made for our front porch. There were a few moments where I wasn’t sure that it was going to turn out but in the end I think it turned out pretty cute.
This little black and white pumpkin started life as a black craft pumpkin. I had found a tutorial that gave directions on creating the stem which you can view here. I didn’t really like the blue part of it but loved the stem. I knew that I had some paper clay just hanging out that was dying to get used. Well, as it turns out that clay was about 90% dried out but in the vein of frugality I tried to make it work.
To start with the stem you make a base structure using foil and then cover that with paper clay. Well, as it turns out that clay doing nothing was about 90% dried out but in the vein of frugality I tried to make it work. Naturally, this wasn’t the best idea. The stem just didn’t look right. That’s what I get trying to use 10-year-old clay. So I broke down and bought a brand new package and what I had attributed to sub-par sculpting, was in fact, more related to working with an inferior product. I applied the new clay over the old clay which made the stem a little larger than I was initially planning, but these things happen.
Once I had my basic shape created, I added the lines using a few clay tools and toothpicks. I added a thin rope of clay and added the details with a clay tool. This was all set aside to dry for a few days. I live in a dry climate but it still took awhile for the clay to completely cure.
Next step was to paint my stem with brown craft paint. It took a few different paint brushes to all of the paint the stem with the twisting and little crevices. Then came painting the body. I painted the white stripes first, again just using a white craft paint. It took about three coats to fully cover the paint. I then painted the spaces with black craft paint. I allowed the paint to dry between coats but I was able to get it painted in about a day. The craft paint dried very quickly.
I then aged the body painting. To do this, I created a very basic wash by taking brown craft paint and mixing it with a lot of water. I would then brush on the wash and then using a paper towel wipe the excess away. I did this about three times over the whole pumpkin before I was happy with it.
Next, came the stem, I applied DecoArt® Metallic Lustre™ Wax Finish in Gold Rush. I just brushed it on with a stencil brush and then wiped any excess off with a paper towel. Once the whole pumpkin was dry I gave it two coats of Clear Finish in Matte. I used Matte because it was what I had on hand, although I think that I might go with a Gloss it I make another one. That was it! This was a really fun project. Here is our porch skeleton holding the pumpkin.
My daughter says that this skeleton is a girl just in case you were wondering. I am planning to have her hold our candy bowl when we are out trick or treating so the pumpkin will have to find a new home but until then I thought that this was fun.
Just so you know that I am not the only creator in the family I am sharing the pumpkin my husband carved. I think it is perfect!
Have a wonderful and safe Halloween!