The Quidditch Cornhole Boards are finally completed! Between retouching, cold weather, and paint that took forever to dry these took way longer than I was anticipating. In fact, the process of building the actual boards took way less time than painting them. Despite all of the setbacks they are finally complete. Now, I just have to either make or purchase bean bags.
Without further ado, here is how I made these. To begin, I made a trip to my local hardware store to purchase my wood. I was in a hurry and didn’t have them cut it for me, which was probably not the best idea but these things happen. I managed to find three 2x4s in the miscut bin so I got those at 70% off. They each had about 3″ cut off the end but I knew that I had a spare 2×4 at home to make up the difference. In addition to the 2x4s, I also purchased a 4’x8′ sheet of plywood. I dragged my wood home and began the process of cutting everything.
The 2x4s were cut as follows:
- 21″ short sides (4)
- 48″ long sides (4)
- 12″ legs (4)
I cut the sheet of plywood to 24″x48″
I did use a circular saw to cut all of my wood, which always makes me a little nervous. If you use a circular saw please be very careful and follow all of the safety guidelines. I used 3.5″ screws to assemble my frames.
I added the goals to the plywood in two different ways. For my first board, I screwed my plywood deck to my frame first and for the other, I cut it out before I screwed the deck down. I actually think that adding it after it was screwed down was easier but it is up to you. I used a 6″ circle drill. This is a lot of work for a drill, so use caution and be sure to keep an eye on your drill. Mine got very hot cutting out the holes. For the second board, once the hole was cut I screwed the deck to the frame with 1 1/2″ screws.
Now, I went about shaping my legs. I used a circle cutting tool in my crafting arsenal to cut out a 3 1/2″ circle from paper to use as my curve template. Using my paper template, I traced the curves onto one end of each leg. I really should have used a jigsaw to cut these out, but since I didn’t want to borrow my neighbors I thought that I could cut it out with my scroll saw. Now, I will tell you that this was not my best idea since the scroll saw isn’t really made to cut wood this thick. I babied it through and cut out some of the ugliest curves but they worked. and since you really won’t see them under the frame and decking I just left them. I drilled through the frame and legs and added my carriage bolts.
Now, came the fun part, PAINTING! I designed my paint template in my Silhouette Software so I would know what was going where. I used a new brand of paint (for me) on this project. ArtMinds Outdoor paint. I purchased black, teal, yellow, and white. We decided that we needed to paint the snitches gold, not yellow so I also purchased gold outdoor paint by FolkArt. I started by priming my boards and then once dry, I used painters tape to create my design.
The add the graphics I created stencils using my Silhouette Cameo. These were big and gave me lots of trouble. I probably should have purchased a higher grade of plywood and/or done more sanding but the stencils were a challenge to cut and to paint. This caused me to have to do a lot of retouching where paint seeped under the stencil. Below you will see a few photos from the process.
One other issue I had was that on one of the boards the black paint just wouldn’t dry. While the cold weather kept me from painting on these for almost a week, it took about that long for the deck to dry. I painted the boards at the same time, the same way, so I have no idea why only one was giving me trouble. The black paint was much thicker than all the other colors and I am sure that was what led to the issue.
I added the central image and then the lettering. I used white paint and then on the snitch, I painted over this with the yellow paint, but that was overruled necessitating the purchase of the gold paint. This was really much better. As I mentioned, this was not an easy process and I fought with the stencil material as much as I did the paint but in the end, it all worked out.
Once I had my main designs done, I used painting tape to add the yellow stripe and then the stands up to the Quidditch rings. I also cut out the goal circles and added those. I took my legs off the boards and painted those with the black paint.
The final step was to add the varnish. The paint says that it doesn’t need a sealer but I wanted my boards to hold up during the party and for years to come so I added four coats of Varathane to the tops and one coat on the legs and sides.
Overall, I think that they turned out pretty decent. If I were to do it again I would get the wood cut at the store, borrow the jigsaw, and do a bit more sanding. The outdoor paint was very thick and I don’t love that you can see brush strokes but I don’t hate it enough to redo it!The other thing was that on one board the varnish did a funny thing on the last coat and got really streaky, this was another one of those things that I am not sure what went wrong but I don’t hate it enough to start all over.