Back again with more Harry Potter Magic! One of the events at our party was the wand selection. This was so much fun! I created each unique wand and they were all very different. Some were inspired by the films and some from my imagination. The kids had a great time picking out their wands and I had a great time creating them.
I had seen a lot of the hot glue wands online and while they looked easy and quick to create I really wanted to create something that gave me more control over the shape of the wands. In addition, I really don’t need any more hot glue burns. So I came up with these Harry Potter wands for our party!
Each wand started as a plain wooden dowel. I bought a pack of 12″ wooden dowels and trimmed a few from dowels I had laying around. (Yes, you read that right I do have dowels just laying willy nilly around this place.) I trimmed them using my scroll saw after the sculpting dried. This allowed me to make the length match the wand since some of these took on a life of their own.
To start, I used 100 grit sandpaper to rough up the surface of my wood. I then mixed up some Apoxie Sculpt. This was my first time using this product and I was really pleased with the end result. It was easy to work with and I liked the way it smoothed out with a little bit of water. One thing that I struggle with when using polymer clay is fingerprints.
Some of the wands had clear plans and I looked up photos online to find exactly what I wanted. I wanted to be sure that I didn’t have any flat spots on my wands so I filled an old paint water cup with leftover decorative sand from my cauldron and I stuck the wands in there. this held them up while they dried – voila no flat spots.
I will admit that the dragon was my favorite. It was so much fun. Once all the wands were cured I used my scroll saw to trim down the wands. I also sanded a few of the wands where they needed it, mostly to smooth the transition from sculpture to the dowel. Now I was ready to start painting. I used craft acrylics, for some of the “wood” looking wands I really thinned down the paint to make a wash. Again, I used my cup of sand to hold them while they dried.
I used craft acrylics, for some of the “wood” looking wands I really thinned down the paint to make a wash. Again, I used my cup of sand to hold them while they dried. It was so much fun to see the wands take shape. The paint made the wand’s personality just jump out. It was really fun to think about which kiddo would go for which wand.
When all the wands here cured, trimmed and painted I was ready to seal them. I used a high shine spray sealer and gave each wand a few coats. In the end, I created 20 wands and managed to use one 1 lb Apoxie Sculpt. It comes in two 8 oz containers that you mix equally, in the amount you need. It is air dry medium but I felt like I had a length of time to work with it before and as I mentioned above, I loved that you can smooth it out with water. I really liked my Hedwig Wand but my daughter’s first guess was that it was going to be a penguin and then once I had painted it she kept calling it a pigeon. I think she was just giving me a hard time, however, I really liked that one.
For the party, I created an Ollivander’s Storefront that held the wands, I will share the creation of the project down the road! Thanks for stopping by!