We are getting very close to Halloween and you know what that means. . . . tiny haunted houses! I have been going a little crazy over the Tim Holtz Halloween Houses, again. If you haven’t seen Lucy’s work over at her blog With Glue and Glitter you are missing out. I was heavily influenced by her amazing work. Loved this house she made that had a teal roof, make take on it has a purple roof. I loved how makes bases for her houses and so I gave that a whirl too.
I started by cutting my bases out of heavyweight cardstock. Then I began creating my siding by spritzing a piece of cardstock with Glimmer Mist and Distress Ink Spray in Autumn Nights and Black Soot. Once dry I then cut the cardstock into thin strips and applied a little white chalk ink to the edges. This is not an exact science, I ended up making several batches of siding and so there was a little variation in color but I think that this adds to the overall weathered look of the house.
For the roof, I cut the pieces out first and the sprayed with Fully Purple Glimmer Mist and then edged with Black Soot Distress Ink. The window frames were created in the same manner.
To create the door I stamped a copy of the door with the Woodgrain Stamp from Stampin’ Up and then added color with Distress Inks. I colored a few thin strips of cardstock with Distress Stain and added a little Distress Embossing Powder, then attached to the house. The doorknobs are tiny brads. I was really happy to find these little guys.
Each window and the front door have a small piece of acetate behind. I just used scraps I had lying around and colored them with alcohol ink in Butterscotch.
I added trim pieces on the roofline using the front trim piece as a guide for the angle and then coloring in the same manner as the roof. My edges were a little rough and this certainly smartened up the whole house.
The base was created in the manner that Lucy has described over on her blog (here). I used smaller layers between mine (little strips of cardboard) to give it a little more height without a full piece of cardboard. In addition, I also added a little hole in the center to hold my battery operated light. Once the cardboard was dry I added about three coats of tissue paper adhered with glue. I left that to dry overnight. In the morning I gave it a few coats of grey and black acrylic paint. I painted a few fence lengths and glued them to my base.
I feel like my house might be a little plain and so there may be an addition or two down the road, i.e. polymer clay pumpkins or a ghost. For now, this little house sits ready for Halloween. I really would love to get another house done before Halloween but I am simply buried with projects (in a good way). Thank you for stopping by and I hope that this inspires you to create your own tiny Halloween Dwelling!